Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Star Trek Initiation: Charlie "X"

So I know I promised one review a week and it's been nearly 2 weeks. Sorry. I'm back now with Episode 2: Charlie "X". Charlie is the only survivor of a spaceship crash nearly 14 years ago. He was three years old at the time, and somehow survived on his own. He's grown up on a nearly deserted planet, and suddenly finds himself on the starship Enterprise. Everyone is trying to help him at first, but Charlie's understandably not very good with people. He manages to alienate most of the crew members...and then they discover that there's something else odd about Charlie: he has incredible mental powers. He can make people and things disappear. He turns one woman into an iguana.

It reminded me of an episode of The Twilight Zone called "It's a Good Life" and, like the people controlled by little Anthony, the crew of the Enterprise has trouble controlling Charlie. I was really wondering how they were going to get him to stop sending people off into oblivion, and the ending really made sense. I did wonder why the aliens who gave him his powers didn't step in sooner, though.

The other night, I saw an old episode of "Night Gallery" with Leonard Nimoy. I was surprised by how pointy his eyebrows are in real life.

Look for another episode of "Video Revue" before the end of the month!

No comments: