Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Movie Revue: Toy Story/Toy Story 2 in 3-D!

One ticket. Two movies. Three dimensions.

Johnny and I are huge Pixar fans (if you'll remember from our Pixar show) so we were very excited to hear that Toy Story and TS2 were returning to theaters in 3-D. I'm a big fan of the new 3-D techniques, having seen several movies in the old blue-and-red-glasses 3-D. The new way is way better, although I do think they use it as a gimmick sometimes.

But that didn't happen here. They simply re-worked the movies so that everything looks a little bit more real. The effects are pretty subtle, but everything has more depth and detail. Or maybe it's just seeing Toy Story on the big screen again after thirteen years of watching the VHS copy on my 22-inch TV screen. The colors popped, the backgrounds looked real, and it was just a ton of fun. I've seen both movies so many times I could probably recite entire scenes from memory, so I just sat back and tried to find details I hadn't noticed before.

I could, of course. Which reminded me again how mind-blowingly awesome Pixar is. Their attention to detail is just amazing. Here's a really nerdy example: when Buzz and Woody are trapped in Sid's room, and Buzz is trying to push the toolbox off of his desk, I noticed that the toolbox said Binford. Binford Tools was the name of the tool company that sponsored "Tool Time" on "Home Improvement," which (along with Toy Story) starred Tim Allen.

Along with two great movies, we got a preview for Toy Story 3, which looks like it's going to be hilarious. You can watch the video below (until it is inevitably deleted) but I would really recommend finding some time to go and see the movies in theaters. Unfortunately, it's only in theaters for two weeks, and this is week 2. But if you have a chance, definitely check it out. You will not be disappointed.