Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Movie Review: I Am Legend

This movie, based on a book I haven't read, stars Will Smith as the (lone?) survivor of the zombie apocalypse. Technically, the monsters are more like vampires (repelled by holy water, die in sunlight) but "zombie apocalypse" sounds better. The first half of the movie plays like an extended "Twilight Zone" episode: tense and haunting, with Will Smith, his dog, and the occasional scene involving the monsters. The movie takes a very different turn after his character decides to commit suicide and is saved. I can't say anymore without giving away the end, but I did enjoy the movie thoroughly.

There was one scene that was so tense I almost left the theatre (but I'm so glad I didn't!): Neville (Smith's character) gets caught in one of his own monster traps and is left hanging by his ankle as the sun sets. The movie takes a "less-is-more" approach, which I found incredibly tense because I have a good imagination. The whole time, I'm thinking, "Augh! The sun's going down and then the monsters are going to come out and they're going to kill him because he's just hanging there and there's no way for him to get down because he's passed out!!"

About halfway through the movie, I knew I was either going to love it or hate it, and it all hinged on the ending. The final scenes, which again I'm not going to give away, were very well done and again reminded me of The Twilight Zone. I highly recommend the movie. It's action-packed, tense, and the ending is satisfying without being unrealistically happy.

No comments: